[Edited extract from public address]
Message from the Acting Chairperson
Hope this email finds you well and that you've had an opportunity to share some quality time with your family and loved ones. While Viv has a well earned break I'll be providing a few updates over the coming week or so.
On behalf of the VMC I would like to convey our best wishes to you, your family and your community for the New Year.
2021, as often described, has been a challenging year for all and more so for some. However, it has also been one that has highlighted the incredible leadership and altruism that exists within the community. For one last time in 2021, I would like to thank you and your community for all that you had undertaken to support those in need within the Victorian community. Know that your acts of kindness and good will made an incredible difference in people's lives and I hope we can continue that into 2022.
Obviously, you will be aware that the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 pandemic has sadly resulted in a spike in positive cases and I ask that you continue to take care and where possible to convey key safety messages through your networks and communities. We will continue to circulate updates as we receive them.
Please check in on the Victorian Government's coronavirus website for the latest information and for translated information.
This update relates to:
- new directions;
- Rapid Antigen Test update;
- getting a third vaccination dose ("booster"); and
- vaccinations for 5 to 11 year olds.
Confirmed cases in the workplace updated directions: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/confirmed-case-workplace
Checklist for positive COVID cases available at: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/checklist-cases
Checklist for COVID contacts: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/checklist-contacts
Rapid Antigen Test update:
As of Sunday 2 January 2022, the public will be able to access free RAT kits at the Melbourne Showgrounds testing site, after which free RATs will be available at all testing sites across the state as well as a selection of other locations. Please keep an eye on the following website for further details: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/where-get-tested-covid-19
If it has been four or more months since you had your second COVID-19 vaccination, and you are aged 18 or over, you are now eligible to get your third dose (booster).
A COVID-19 third dose is strongly recommended to help keep you and your loved ones protected from COVID-19.
Eligible people will receive the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. You can safely get either of these vaccines as your third dose, regardless of which COVID-19 vaccine you received for your initial doses.
- Book your third dose through a GP or pharmacy using the vaccine clinic finder
- You can also book at a Victorian vaccination centre
- For more information on third doses
5-11 year old vaccination
Getting kids vaccinated will help:
- keep schools open, so kids can have more face-to-face learning and playtime with their friends
- reduce the spread of COVID-19
- protect them from getting sick from COVID-19.
Appointments are available at Victorian GPs, pharmacies, Aboriginal Controlled Community Health Organisations and family-friendly vaccination centres from January 2022.
- Find out more about vaccination for kids
Thank you once again! Take care, stay safe and we look forward to working with you 2022.
Bwe Thay, Acting Chairperson
- Coronavirus hotline: 1800 675 398 (24 Hours).
- Interpreting service: If you need an interpreter, call TIS National on 131 450.
- Testing locations: Find a testing location near you.
- Triple Zero: Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.
- Coronavirus in-language information