NAVIGATION

NAVIGATION

AUST | PMW | UPDATING | Community, News and Information | August 2026

[Edited extract from public address]

I hope you are enjoying the little sunshine amidst these winter days. I know I am! Leeching every ray of sunshine that I can.

It's been... a month. Ha! I feel like I'm perpetually exhausted, even though I've already "survived" (arguably) the most difficult time of having a baby, aka the newborn stage. My baby turned 12 months old today (I know, ONE YEAR! Like, when did this happen?), and I feel like I should have gotten used to this new way of life by now. But I must confess I haven't. I'm feeling not only a bit lost, but also not fully like myself.

It's been hard understanding that I'm not the person I used to be, while also getting to know this new aspect of my identity as a mum. Because sometimes I feel like I'm not the best mum. And Instagram doesn't help. I feel exhausted, drained, anxious, and low on energy most of the time. And at the moment, it's been hard to have space for myself. Or a space where I feel like I know what I'm doing. Like in a professional job you're good at.

I was expecting to go back to work by the end of June but, as many of you know, my role was made redundant. So, I'm currently on the job hunt, which is an emotional rollercoaster of its own. One that really challenges your confidence. Which is not helpful when I'm trying to find my way back, or find a new path to a new identity. Or whatever it is I need to find to get out of this rut.

I currently feel somewhat paralysed. I'm getting more and more unmotivated every time I read roles to apply for. It's funny because it's like two sides of a coin. On one side, I don't apply because I feel like I'm not qualified or good enough for the role. On the other side (and I don't know if this is me sabotaging myself in another way), I can't seem to find jobs right now that I can see myself enjoying.

I'm trying my best to break out of this cycle. But I'm tired, and it's been hard to work on my confidence when I feel like I don't have much time of my own. Time to do nothing, just rest, and not feel bad because I'm not either: A) taking care of my baby; B) taking care of the house or doing chores; C) working at PMW; or D) looking for a job to help financially at home.

For today, though, I'm just going to enjoy my baby and celebrate that the most wonderful kind of sunshine came into my life to brighten it up.

Kindest,
Lina

SPOTLIGHTING | When Stories Become Evidence

For years, we've been hearing a similar story from our community.

Women who had done everything "right", built successful careers overseas, earned qualifications, secured professional jobs in Australia... yet still felt stuck when it came to progressing into more senior roles.

At first, we heard these stories one conversation at a time. At a networking event. During a mentoring session. Over coffee. In a DM.

Eventually, we started asking ourselves: Is this an individual experience, or is something bigger happening?

That's what led us to launch our first national study on career progression among professional migrant women.

Thanks to 185 women from across Australia, we were able to turn lived experiences into evidence. What emerged was a clear picture: getting the job is only part of the story. Career progression, visibility, sponsorship, professional networks, and access to leadership opportunities continue to shape women's experiences long after they enter the workforce.

The findings have already informed the design of our Ascend Career Progression Program, and they'll continue to shape how we advocate, design programs, and support our community moving forward.

Most importantly, this report belongs to the women who contributed to it. To every woman who shared her experience, challenge, and insight: thank you.

If you've ever wondered whether your experiences are shared by other migrant women, we invite you to download and read the report. And if something resonates, share it with your employer, colleagues, networks, and allies. The more people who understand the realities of career progression for migrant women, the stronger the case for change becomes.

JOINING | Forces for greater impact

One of the things we're always thinking about at PMW is how we can create more opportunities, visibility, and support for migrant women.
That's why we're excited to share that we've recently become a member of Gender Equity Victoria (GenVic), a network of organisations committed to advancing gender equity across Victoria.

For us, this isn't just another membership. It's an opportunity to build stronger partnerships, contribute to important conversations, access leading research, and ensure the experiences of migrant women are represented in spaces where decisions and advocacy happen.

The challenges migrant women face don't exist in isolation, and neither should the solutions. By collaborating with organisations that share our values, we can continue amplifying the voices of our community and advocating for a more equitable future for all women.

We're excited about what this partnership will make possible and look forward to keeping you updated on the collaborations, advocacy, and opportunities that emerge from this space.

CONNECTING | Your City, Your Community

One of the things we've heard time and time again is that while our online events connect women across Australia, many of you are also looking for connections closer to home.
That's why we've been busy launching our new PMW Community Spaces in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, and Adelaide, with Hobart and Perth coming soon.

Think of these spaces as your local PMW hub. A place to connect with other migrant women in your city, hear about local opportunities and events, ask questions, share wins, and build relationships beyond a monthly meetup.

And here's our challenge to you: don't just join, say hello!

Introduce yourself. Share what you do. Ask a question. Tell us what you're working towards. Chances are there's another woman in your city looking for exactly the same kind of connection.

Our PMW Ambassadors are already there, ready to welcome you, start conversations, and help connect you with other women in your local community.

Join your city's Community Space and help us bring it to life:

 Upcoming training and events 

GATHERING | PMW Anniversary 2026

We're doing it again. And if I'm honest, this is one of our events I'm most proud of.

Because this is the kind of room I wish I had been invited into when I first arrived in Australia.

A room where you don't just hear from successful leaders. Oh no! This is a room where you *actually* sit with them. You ask questions. You learn from their mistakes, their decisions, and their journeys.

A room where the women leading organisations either look and sound like us, or are allies genuinely committed to opening doors for women like us.

And yes, it's a gala. Partly because we love a reason to dress up! But mostly because we believe in celebrating women who lift other women up.

SHARING | The story behind the ambassador

I'm super excited to introduce Louise Chiu, our Sydney Ambassador, as this month's In Conversations With (ICW) guest.

Many of you already know Louise as the friendly face welcoming women at our Sydney meetups, sharing opportunities, making introductions, and helping our community grow.

But there's so much more to her story.

Behind the ambassador role is a migrant woman who has navigated career changes, taken risks, reinvented herself more than once, and built a career helping others create financial confidence and security.

This month, we're slowing down and getting to know the person behind the title. The experiences, lessons, and moments that shaped her journey, and the insights she's gathered along the way.

Join us this Friday and discover another side of Louise. I have a feeling you'll leave inspired, and probably wishing you'd met her sooner.

ASKING | Have you ever felt like you know you're capable?

You know you're qualified. You know you're doing the work. And yet somehow, it feels like you're being tested on more than just your job?

If you have felt like this, you are not the only one.

For many migrant women, there is a second, invisible test happening at work: proving that we belong.
Not just proving we can do the role, but proving we understand the culture, the unwritten rules, the humour, the communication styles, and all the things nobody puts in the position description.

If you're reading this and thinking, "I've felt that, but I've never known how to explain it," then you need to join us for our next Level Up exclusive session with Aarti Kararwal.

Drawing from her own experience rebuilding her career in Australia and two decades of leadership experience in technology and cybersecurity, Aarti will unpack the hidden cost of constantly having to prove yourself, and share practical ways to build visibility, influence, and professional authority without losing yourself in the process.

Honestly, this is one of those conversations I wish I'd had years ago.

Exclusive to PMW Level Up Full Members. Learn more


TRAINING | Have you ever talked yourself out of applying for a role, asking for a promotion, putting your hand up for a project, or reaching out to someone you'd love to learn from?

Not because you weren't capable. Because asking felt uncomfortable.

For many migrant women, self-advocacy isn't just a professional skill. It's something shaped by culture, upbringing, expectations, and all the messages we've received about being grateful, humble, and not taking up too much space.

That's why I'm excited about this masterclass with Erika Cramer.

This isn't a session about confidence hacks or positive thinking. It's about understanding what's actually stopping you from asking for what you want, and getting coached through it in real time.

You'll leave with practical tools, clearer language, and most importantly, one action you can take towards an opportunity you've been putting off.

Free for PMW Level Up members.

SHARING | What's new?

Australia's migration program is once again at the centre of national conversations, with ongoing discussions about future migration settings and the role skilled migrants play in Australia's workforce. Business groups, community organisations, and policymakers are weighing in on proposed changes, highlighting the importance of recognising migrants' contributions to Australia's economy and society.
For migrant women, these conversations are not abstract, they directly shape opportunities, pathways, and experiences.

We'd love to hear from you: What is one thing you wish policymakers better understood about the experiences and contributions of migrant women in Australia? Let us know by responding to this email!

DISCUSSING | As you probably know, Australia completed its 2026 Census earlier this month.

One thing that caught our attention was the effort to better capture the diversity of modern Australia, including the ability to record up to four ancestries and expanded options for gender identity.

It might seem like a small change, but at PMW we know that better data matters. When communities are counted more accurately, they become more visible. And when they become more visible, it becomes easier to identify needs, inform policy, and advocate for meaningful change.

We hope these changes lead to a richer understanding of Australia's multicultural communities and the experiences that make them unique.

CONTINUING | The Gender Pay Gap Conversation

New Australian data continues to show significant gender pay gaps across many industries, particularly in higher-paying leadership roles. While more organisations are reporting and addressing pay disparities, there is still much work to do. It's also a timely reminder of why PMW's new research into the experiences of culturally diverse women is so important, because we can't solve problems we don't measure.

 Community voices 

This section has a new home and a new purpose.
From this month onwards, we'll be using this space to amplify the work, stories, events, achievements, and opportunities coming directly from our community.

At PMW, we believe we all grow stronger when we share the spotlight. Whether you're celebrating a milestone, launching a project, hosting an event, publishing a resource, or simply have something valuable to share, we'd love to help spread the word.

Have something you'd like featured in a future edition of Thriving Us? Submit your content by the last week of each month using the link below.

RESEARCHING | Migrant Women Entrepreneurs

Are you a migrant woman running a business in Australia? A University of Tasmania PhD study is seeking participants to share their experiences as migrant women entrepreneurs. If you were born overseas and have operated a business in Australia for at least three years, your insights could help inform future research and support.

SHOWING | Saints and Sinners – A Portrait of St Kilda Exhibition

This Exhibit explores the rich cultural mythology of Melbourne's iconic bayside suburb. Bringing together a diverse group of artists inspired by the many faces of St Kilda, the exhibition invites visitors to reflect on the question: What does St Kilda conjure up for you?

FINDING | Your Place in Australia

Looking to expand your network, connect with others, and reflect on your migration journey? Latin Stories Australia's Finding Your Place in Australia workshop creates a welcoming space to explore identity, belonging, resilience, and community through meaningful conversations and activities.

AUST | MCWH | WEBINAR | Whose Health, Whose Voice? | Thursday 27 Aug 2026 | 1-2.30pm AEST

What can migrant and refugee women's experiences teach us about creating a more equitable healthcare system? This Multicultural Centre for Women's Health (MCWH) online event shares findings from new national research exploring bias and discrimination in healthcare and invites a broader conversation about inclusion, access, and systemic change.

VIC | GOV | GRANTING | Multicultural Festivals and Events Grants | applications close 31 August 2026


Planning a community event, cultural celebration, or festival? Applications are now open for the Victorian Government's Multicultural Festivals and Events Program, with grants of up to $50,000 available for multicultural and multifaith community groups.

 Connecting with PMW 

  • Level Up Your Career. Join a community of migrant women growing, connecting, and advancing together.
  • Subscribing. If you have been forwarded this email from a friend, you can subscribe to our newsletter
  • Contributing. Do you have recommendations, resources, or information that you think would benefit our community? Share your insights and help us create a richer, more engaging newsletter for everyone!


MORE:

Professional Migrant Women (PWM)

Professional Migrant Women (PMW) would like to acknowledge that we stand in lands that have never been ceded. We pay our respect to the traditional custodians of the lands on which we are fortunate to live, love, work and thrive. We acknowledge diversity, advocate for inclusion and foster a sense of belonging.